Raleigh | Smithfield | Charlotte | Orlando | Goldsboro

Should I File a Lawsuit if a Drunk Driver Hit Me? 

 Posted on November 15, 2022 in Personal Injury

Charlotte car crash injury lawyer Getting in any kind of serious car accident can be a traumatic experience, to say nothing of the physical danger and potentially long-term health implications of such a crash. But suffering in a car crash because somebody decided to drive drunk can be one of the worst kinds of crashes to endure; not only will you have to deal with the painful and expensive healing and recovery process of a typical car accident, but you know that if not for the irresponsible driver’s actions, the accident would likely never have happened in the first place. If you or someone you love has been injured in a drunk driving car crash in North Carolina, you may be considering taking legal action against them. Having a personal injury attorney in your corner will help.

Is a Drunk Driver Responsible Always for a Car Accident? 

Although the driver of the vehicle you crashed into may have been drunk, that does not necessarily mean that he or she will be found responsible for the accident. In fact, if you contributed to the car crash at all, you likely will not be able to recover any compensation for the damage the accident caused. North Carolina personal injury claims fall under “pure” contributory negligence laws, so any contribution on behalf of the plaintiff bars recovery. It is important to talk to an attorney to determine whether you likely share fault for the accident, because shared fault can also result in an insurance company that is going to fight giving you fair compensation. 

How Much Time Do I Have to File a Lawsuit? 

Every state has a statute of limitations for bringing lawsuits in personal injury cases, and North Carolina is no exception. Generally, the statute of limitations for car accident lawsuits is three years from the date of the crash. However, if someone died in the accident, and a loved one wants to bring a wrongful death claim, they have only two years from the date the person died. 

What Kind of Compensation Can I Get for a Drunk Driving Car Accident? 

Although the exact type of compensation will depend on the specifics of your case, common types of compensation include: 

  • Cost of medical treatment, including emergency care, rehabilitation, surgery, and more
  • Cost of property damage
  • Compensation for lost income
  • Compensation for pain and suffering 

Contact a Charlotte, NC Car Crash Injury Lawyer

If you have been injured by a drunk driver, it is essential to meet with an experienced Charlotte, NC car crash injury lawyer. At Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC, we will work hard to investigate your case, determine driver liability, and pursue the maximum compensation to which you are entitled. Call us today at 1-844-YO-PELEO and make sure you start your case before the statute of limitations runs out. Hablamos Español. 










Share this post:
des channel 40 aila ncsb justice aila char
Back to Top