Raleigh | Smithfield | Charlotte | Orlando | Goldsboro

North Carolina Immigration Attorneys for Adjustment of Status

Smithfield Consular Processing Lawyers

Lawyers in Raleigh, NC for Immigration Status Adjustments and Consular Processing

With over 35 years of combined experience, the skilled immigration attorneys at the Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC are committed to helping those who are seeking lawful permanent resident status here in the United States. We realize that there are several ways in which a person can obtain lawful permanent resident status, and each will present its own share of challenges. One of the most common methods is called an Adjustment of Status, and it allows a person who originally came to the United States on a non-immigrant visa to apply for and obtain lawful permanent resident status, more commonly known as a "green card."

North Carolina Immigration Lawyers for Adjustment of Status Eligibility

Under U.S. immigration law, an Adjustment of Status is available to prospective immigrants in many different situations. If you originally came to the U.S. as a non-immigrant and you wish to remain here permanently, you may qualify for an Adjustment of Status. In order to be eligible for an Adjustment of Status, you must have entered the United States on a non-immigrant visa, such as a tourist visa, student visa, or a temporary work visa. You must also meet several other criteria, including:

  • You must be currently present in the United States.
  • You must have an approved visa petition (the visa on which you entered the U.S.).
  • You must have entered the U.S. legally.
  • You must have maintained your legal status since entering the U.S.
  • If you entered the U.S. on a K-1 visa (fiancé visa), you must have married the citizen who sponsored your K-1 petition.

Meeting the above requirements means that you can apply for an Adjustment of Status, but it does not guarantee that your application will be approved. It is possible for exceptions to be made for qualifying criteria in certain situations, and our experienced immigration lawyers can help you explore your options.

Some Adjustment of Status cases are much more complex than others. Depending on the circumstances, for example, you might need a legal U.S. citizen to sponsor your petition for lawful permanent resident status, or you could be permitted to file your application without a sponsor. If your Adjustment of Status request is related to your marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, you should know that immigration officials will take a close look at your case to prevent and detect any fraudulent intentions. At the Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC, we are equipped to help with your Adjustment of Status application, no matter how complicated your circumstance may be.

Johnston County Consular Processing Lawyers

An Adjustment of Status is only available to those who are already present in the United States after having entered legally and maintained their legal status after entering. For those who are not in the United States currently, Consular Processing could be an option. In a Consular Processing situation, the person intending to immigrate must file for a green card or immigrant visa at a U.S. Department of State consulate outside of the United States. The consulate will process the application and determine whether to issue a green card.

Depending on the circumstances, Consular Processing may actually be faster than an Adjustment of Status, but Consular Processing is often more complicated. If you have a loved one abroad who is considering an application for Consular Processing, the immigration attorneys at the Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC can provide the guidance you need to give the applicant the best chance of a favorable outcome.

We Are Here to Help

To learn more about the processes related to Adjustments of Status and Consular Processing, contact our office. Call 1-844-YO-PELEO or 919-989-3000 to discuss your situation in a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our experienced immigration lawyers. Our firm represents clients in Smithfield, Charlotte, Johnston County, Wake County, Mecklenburg County, and the surrounding areas. Hablamos Español.

des channel 40 aila ncsb justice aila char
Back to Top