Raleigh | Smithfield | Charlotte | Orlando | Goldsboro

Raleigh, NC Lawyers for Post-Divorce Modifications

Mecklenburg County Order Modification Lawyers

Order Enforcement Attorneys Serving Wake County and Johnston County

When you get divorced, it is easy to think of your divorce as an ending, largely because the process is specifically intended to sever the marital relationship between you and your spouse. In many cases, however, a divorce can actually represent a new beginning—or at least the start of a new relationship with your ex-spouse, especially if you have children together.

At the Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC, our attorneys realize that orders regarding child custody, child support, and alimony are generally intended to remain in effect for many years after the divorce finalizes. In that time, the circumstances of your life and those of your spouse can change dramatically, leaving your existing orders virtually obsolete and outdated. North Carolina law allows you to seek a modification of such orders, but the process of doing so can be difficult, and reasonable discussions with your ex-spouse can quickly turn nasty. Our knowledgeable team has the experience and resources to help keep your custody and support orders up to date so that they continue meeting your needs and the needs of your children.

Client-Focused Lawyers for Modifying Family Law Orders in North Carolina

If one of your existing orders for child support, custody, or alimony no longer reflects your current circumstances, you can petition the court for a modification of that order. According to the law in North Carolina, you must demonstrate to the court that one of the involved parties has experienced a "substantial and material change in circumstances" that was not accounted for or considered when the order was established or previously modified. A substantial and material change in circumstances typically involves a financial change, but such a change may include other considerations as well.

The law does not explicitly define a substantial and material change in circumstances, but North Carolina courts have approved modifications for changes such as:

  • Job loss or reduction in income for either party
  • Remarriage or cohabitation with a new romantic partner
  • Serious illness or disability
  • Relocating to a new city or state
  • Increases in the cost of living
  • Dramatic changes in lifestyle
  • Consistent failure to comply with an existing order
  • Changes in the needs of a child

If your situation qualifies for a modification review, the court will conduct the review while considering the best interests of all parties. When children are involved, however, the court will prioritize the best interests of the child over that of the adults. At Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC, our lawyers can help you determine your need for a modification, and we will help you obtain the changes you need.

Smithfield Order Enforcement Lawyers

At Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC, we know that individuals who are subject to custody and support orders do not always fulfill the obligations set by such orders. They may get behind on support or alimony payments, refuse to exercise their visitation rights, or otherwise avoid the responsibilities assigned to them.

North Carolina law offers a number of options to facilitate the enforcement of divorce-related orders. Our experienced attorneys understand that the best option for your case will depend on the type of order and the nature of the other party's non-compliance. Depending on the circumstances, a contempt of court petition may be appropriate, and if the offending party is found to be in contempt, the court could order:

  • Fines
  • Garnishment of wages
  • Loss or restriction of parental rights
  • Payment of attorneys' fees and court costs
  • Jail time

Repeated failures to comply will lead to increased penalties for contempt.

We Are Here to Help

To learn more about post-divorce modifications and enforcement, contact the Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC. Call 1-844-YO-PELEO or 919-989-3000 to schedule a free consultation with a member of our team today. We represent clients in Raleigh, Charlotte, Smithfield, Wake County, Mecklenburg County, Johnston County, and the surrounding areas. Hablamos Espanol.

des channel 40 aila ncsb justice aila char
Back to Top