Raleigh | Smithfield | Charlotte | Orlando | Goldsboro

Wake County, NC Fiancé Visa Lawyers

Charlotte Fiance Visas Lawyers

Immigration Attorneys in Raleigh for Marriage-Related Visas

Are you engaged to a citizen of another country? If so, you may have a number of concerns regarding how to handle your situation. For example, should you first get married somewhere outside the United States and then bring your spouse to the U.S.? Or, is it a better option to secure entry to the United States for your future spouse before you get married? Under the current immigration laws of the United States, either option is permitted. However, it is often faster and easier to bring your fiancé to the U.S. prior to getting married.

At the Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC, our lawyers have more than 35 years of experience assisting clients with complex immigration concerns. We fully understand the difficulties that immigrants and their families often face, and we know how to overcome them. Our team has the resources, knowledge, and skill to help you obtain a fiancé visa so that you and your future spouse can start building a life together here in America.

Johnson County Counsel for K-1 Visa Applications

While the K-1 visa is generally intended to facilitate the eventual immigration of a foreign national to the United States, it is technically considered to be a non-immigrant visa due to its temporary nature. According to the U.S. State Department, "the fiancé(e) K-1 visa allows a foreign-citizen fiancé to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of entry."

Once the marriage has been finalized, the K-1 holder is expected to apply for an Adjustment of Status in order to obtain a green card—officially known as lawful permanent resident status. The fiancé K-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa, but because the visa holder is expected to apply for a green card after the marriage, the fiancé applicant must meet some of the requirements that usually apply only to immigrant visas.

Requirements for K-1 Visas

If you wish to sponsor your foreign-citizen fiancé for a K-1 visa, there are several criteria that must be met, including:

  • You must be a United States citizen.
  • You must have met your fiancé in person within two years of filing the application. Rare exceptions are possible for extreme hardship or cultural considerations.
  • You and your fiancé must be legally eligible to marry one another in the state where the marriage is to take place.
  • You and your fiancé must seriously intend to be married within 90 days of your fiancé's arrival.

In the event that the marriage does not take place or your fiancé does not apply for an Adjustment of Status soon after the marriage, your fiancé could face deportation.

North Carolina Attorneys Helping You Build Your New Life

An unmarried foreign national has many options for entering the U.S. legally. For example, he or she could obtain a non-immigrant tourist visa, and after entering the United States, the person could decide to get married to a United States citizen. This scenario, however, presents two main problems. The first issue is that unmarried women in most foreign countries may have difficulties obtaining tourist visas to come to the United States.

The second problem is the more important concern. If you, as a U.S. citizen married an individual who was here on a tourist visa, it is likely that you would be subject to an investigation by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for potential fraud. A person who misrepresents their reasons for wishing to enter the United States will almost certainly be denied lawful permanent resident status. He or she could also be deported.

In most situations, it is faster to obtain a fiancé visa than getting married outside the U.S. and applying for a marriage visa afterward. As a result, you and your spouse would be forced to spend a great deal of time apart while waiting for the marriage visa to be approved. With a K-1 fiancé visa, you and your partner can start your new life without unnecessary delays.

Let Us Help

To learn more about fiancé K-1 visas or to get the application process started, contact our office. Call 1-844-YO-PELEO or 919-989-3000 to schedule a free consultation at the Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC today. We help clients in Raleigh, Smithfield, Charlotte, Wake County, Johnston County, Mecklenburg County, and the surrounding areas. Hablamos Español.

des channel 40 aila ncsb justice aila char
Back to Top