Raleigh | Smithfield | Charlotte | Orlando | Goldsboro

Raleigh, NC Green Card Attorneys

Wake County Green Card Lawyers

Lawyers in Wake County Helping Immigrants Obtain Lawful Permanent Resident Status

If you live in the United States, but you have close family members in another country, you might want to bring them to the U.S. so that you can all be together. When you help your family members come to the United States legally, you give them the opportunity to seek nearly unlimited opportunities for employment and education. The immigration process, however, can be extremely complicated, and the requirements of obtaining legal entry to the U.S. can be difficult to meet. In most cases, you will need to obtain the appropriate visas to allow your family members to enter the country, but you will also want to start them on the path toward obtaining lawful permanent resident (LPR) status—commonly known as getting a "green card."

At the Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC, our knowledgeable immigration lawyers understand the challenges that immigrants and their families often face in obtaining LPR status. We also recognize the benefits that come with successfully completing the process. Our attorneys have more than 35 years of experience in the practice of immigration law, and we are ready to provide the guidance you need to bring your family members to the United States legally.

What Is a Green Card?

When a foreign national becomes a lawful permanent resident of the United States, he or she is issued what is known as a green card by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). From the end of World War II to the mid-1960s, the identification card issued to lawful permanent residents was green in color, and the nickname "green card" has stuck ever since. While a green card holder is not a United States citizen, he or she does have the right to live and work in the U.S. permanently and is entitled to the protection of the nation's laws. An immigrant must obtain LPR status before he or she can start the process of obtaining citizenship through naturalization.

There are several ways through which a person can acquire a green card, including sponsorship by a family member or an employer in the United States. It is also possible to apply for LPR status as an asylum seeker or refugee. Our attorneys will sit down with you to discuss your situation and help you determine the best course of action for helping your family member obtain LPR status. We will also help with preparing application packages, appealing visa denials, and guiding you and your family member through each step of the immigration process.

Consular Processing for LPR Status

One of the most common ways to obtain a green card for your foreign national family member is through consular processing. Consular processing is necessary when the person wishing to enter the United States is still outside of the country. In most family-related immigration cases, an immigrant visa petition must be filed by a U.S. citizen or LPR on the immigrant's behalf.

When a visa becomes available, the immigrant will be scheduled for an interview at the U.S. Consulate in the country where the immigrant currently lives. Following a successful interview, the immigrant will be given a visa packet for entry to the United States. Upon the immigrant's arrival in the U.S., Customs and Border Protection will conduct a final inspection and approve the immigrant for admission as an LPR. The green card will then be sent by mail in a few weeks.

Other Ways to Obtain a Green Card

At Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC, we also help foreign nationals who are already in the U.S. obtain green cards in appropriate situations. If you originally came to the United States on a non-immigrant visa, such as a tourist visa, student visa, or a temporary work visa, our attorneys can help you explore your options for obtaining your green card through an adjustment of status. We also help refugees and victims of abuse seek LPR status so that they can remain in the United States legally.

Schedule a Free Consultation

For more information about green cards or to get started on your loved one's petition, contact our office. Call 1-844-YO-PELEO or 919-989-3000 to schedule your free, confidential consultation with a member of our team today. We serve clients in Mecklenburg County, Johnston County, and Wake County, North Carolina. Hablamos Espanol.

des channel 40 aila ncsb justice aila char
Back to Top