Raleigh | Smithfield | Charlotte | Orlando | Goldsboro

What Is a “Green Card” and How Can I Gain U.S. Permanent Residency?

 Posted on September 21, 2020 in Uncategorized

Johnson County immigration attorney

A Permanent Resident Card or “green card” is a document that allows U.S. immigrants to reside in the United States permanently. Individuals who have successfully obtained green cards are called lawful permanent residents (LPR). After becoming an LPR and residing in the United States for at least five years, green card holders may apply for U.S. citizenship. If you or a loved one is foreign-born and interested in living in the United States, you may have questions about who is eligible to become a permanent resident. You may also be curious about what the process of applying for and obtaining a green card involves. Read on to learn more about Permanent Resident Cards and how you can get legal support for a range of immigration concerns.

Do I Qualify for a Permanent Resident Card?

There are several different ways that an individual born outside of the United States can become a lawful permanent resident. You may be able to obtain a green card if:

  • Your fiancé, spouse, adult child, or parent is already an LPR or U.S. citizen

  • You are a widow or widower and your spouse was a U.S. citizen at the time of his or her death

  • You meet certain criteria with regard to employment and the ability to work

  • You are coming to the U.S. as a member of the media

  • You will work for a U.S. nonprofit religious organization

  • You have been granted asylum status or were admitted to the U.S. as a refugee at least one year ago

  • You are a victim of abuse or human trafficking seeking safety

  • You have been living in the United States since before January 1, 1972

These are only some of the ways that you may qualify for permanent residence status. Other special circumstances may also qualify you for a green card.

Adjustment of Status and Consular Processing

If you are already living in the United States and you want to become a permanent resident, you are seeking an “adjustment of status.” If you do not live in America or you do not qualify for an adjustment of status, you may seek residency through “consular processing.” Some individuals may need to have an affidavit of support or petition filed on their behalf by a sponsor. Understanding exactly what steps are needed to gain permanent residency and taking the appropriate action can be challenging. An experienced immigration attorney can assist you with any questions you might have during this important endeavor.

Contact a Raleigh Immigration Lawyer

Becoming a U.S. citizen is a dream come true for many people who are natives of other countries. If you are interested in obtaining a Permanent Resident Card and making the United States your lawful home, a skilled Johnston County immigration attorney from the Vasquez Law Firm, PLLC can help. Schedule a free consultation to discuss the details of your case by calling our office today at 1-844-YO-PELEO.



Share this post:
des channel 40 aila ncsb justice aila char
Back to Top